Life isn't a matter of milestones, but of moments – Rose Kennedy
Capture and share those moments using live video. Whether you are cooking your favorite food or visiting your favorite place, share your experience in real time. Live video has now become social media's favorite kid.
According to Mary Meeker's Internet trends Report of 2016, the video viewership is exploding, with Snapchat and Facebook Live showing the way.
The Golden Age of Online Video
"We're entering the new golden age of videos online," Mark Zuckerberg said while announcing Facebook's major update to its streaming service app to give live video more prominence.
It has inked contracts with over 140 media companies and celebs to create videos for its live streaming service.
Twitter acquired Magic Pony Technologies to enhance the video and picture quality which shows how important video is for them.
Tumblr recently launched live video by integrating with existing live video solutions – YouTube, YouNow, Kanvas & Upclose. With the multi-platform support Tumblr aims to score deals with partners like Mashable, Huffington Post etc.
As, three fourth of the world's mobile traffic will be video by 2020, nobody wants to stay behind in the race for online video supremacy.
Here is a list of Apps which let you live stream video:
- Facebook Live – You can share live feed with your friends, interact with them in real time and see the reactions to know how your broadcast is going.
- Periscope – The Live streaming app by Twitter will notify your followers when you go live and the broadcast is available for replay up to 24 hours.
- Meerkat – Just press 'stream' to broadcast a live video. Other users get push notifications to view and comment on your live stream. You can save the streams to the Meerkat Library.
- Stamp – Watch thousands of entertaining shows, chat with your favorite broadcasters or go live using special effects and overlays.
- YouNow – Discover talented broadcasters, watch live streams. You can now post live videos to Tumblr with YouNow.
- Livestream – Broadcast HD videos from mobile or tablet. It supports Go Pro Hero Cameras, so you can broadcast your next sky-diving adventure.
- UStream – Track your audience, gain insights and capture leads. Its partners include Panasonic, Samsung, Logitech, CBS News, and Viacom.
- Tarsii – Lets you live stream video to your Twitter followers and also saves your video to the cloud for later viewing.
Who's doing it?
- McDonald's, tested the live video with Facebook Live. In honor of National Hamburger Day, McDonald's did an hour-long Facebook Live broadcast. The video without any paid efforts reached 884,300 people in 40 minutes with were 43,200 engagements.
- Apparel & accessories designer Kate Spade took to live streaming by airing the New York Fashion Week runway show on Facebook Live. It gave fans the front row experience at this season's fashion show.
- Birchbox, the beauty brand took to live video to interact with their audience. They took to live stream to do a live Q&A and educate their audience about new products. The live stream lasted for 40 minutes with nearly 50,000 live viewers and an average view time of 10 minutes.
Live Video Benefits
Reasons to Go Live:
1. Answer questions & get content ideas –
The most important part about going live is that people can ask you questions. It's the live Q&A which creates a sense of participation.
It will also help you get awesome ideas for content, based on what your viewer's questions.
2. Instant Level of Engagement –
From ramp shows to a product launch, the live feature can add an instant level of engagement and bring everyone into the conversation.
3. Creating a Powerful & Authentic Experience –
Live streaming is a powerful way to foster faith in your audience. The live experience creates a closer connection than written or verbal communication.
4. Get Creative –
Interacting with your viewers enables you to test new ideas and see whether you're heading in the right direction. Go on and get creative!
- What is the aim of live streaming? Know what to deliver to your audience in a timely manner.
- Adding value, answering questions which give a unique view or benefits the viewers.
- Notifying when you go live will help people join the stream, participate and re-play the stream.
- Structure storytelling to let people know what you want to convey and can convey it effectively.
- Do not stream something which endangers the law. The Social Networks are working to keep a check on the content which promotes violence and treat takedown requests by law enforcement with the highest urgency.
The Social networks have already implemented systems that filter child pornography, and other violent acts.
Source by Lavanya Loomba