In this article, we are going to take a look at some of the unscrupulous practices related to domain name registering as well as a few precautions to help protect you from being victimized.
Domain name front running
This has been a suspicion of people for a long time. It basically occurs when people monitor the attempts of others to check out non-existent domain names and then buy them before the inquiring person can make a purchase. The intention here is to sell these domain names to interested parties at higher prices and earning a nice profit without putting in any effort.
There are some registrars who register every single name that you search for on their website. So if you are simply checking the availability of a domain name, they will purchase it right away. This is anti-competitive more than anything else. You could register the domain at the price they advertise but will only be able to do so through them. Other registrars won't be able to register this domain for you since they will see that it has already been sold.
Tips to keep you safe from such scams
• The first and most important thing for you to do is to make a list of domain names you want to buy. This should be done even before you visit the registrar's search page.
• Only visit the registrar whom you are planning to make a purchase from. Do not check the domain on other registrars just to compare prices. Don't even check for it in a separate browser window. Those few seconds could prove costly and you may end up losing out on the domain name. Don't take the risk.
• Once you see a domain name is available, purchase it right away. It might now be available later. Don't waste time day dreaming about buying the domain name in the future. If you aren't planning on buying the domain right away, don't check for it. Or simply buy it and then plan your next move later. Whatever the case is, once you check the domain name, you have to buy it right away or risk losing it.
• Don't make the mistake of posting your idea in a forum and asking others to recommend whether your domain name choice is a good one or not. There will be many other people on the forum who might just purchase that domain right away and then sell it for a higher price.
• If you can afford it, buy every domain name you are thinking of and then work on figuring out which one is the best. Domain names don't cost that much and you shouldn't be spending too much money on them.
Do not make the same mistake newbies make when it comes to buying a desired domain name. Just keep the above tips in mind and you should be just fine.
Source by Yasin Kara