One of the most important features that the website owners need to consider is the email service on their domain name. Most of the web-hosting providers provide email hosting for free with their hosting packages.
However, there are some major disadvantages that lie in the email service that is provided with the web-hosting plans:
- The storage space used by the email is part of the disk space allowed in the web-hosting plan. Thus, unless you have an unlimited web-hosting plan you have to worry about the email storage space.
- The web mail client provided by most of the web-hosting providers is not as feature rich as the well-known email services such as Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo! Mail.
- If you are running your server on a shared hosting plan, your website might be black listed by other email hosting services due to the fact that you might be surrounded by bad web neighbors.
What most people don't know that the email server of their emails doesn't necessarily have to reside on their web-hosting server. You can specify the mail server by changing the MX record of your domain name thus allowing you to host your domain emails on Gmail, Hotmail or any other third party email hosting service. Most of the web hosting providers such as iPage, HostGator and Go Daddy allow you to set the MX records by yourself through their easy to use control panel.
Google Apps is a service provided by Google that allows the domain users to take full advantage of Google products such as Gmail, Google Docs and Google Calendar at their custom domain name. All you need is to register a domain name and to point your domain MX records to the MX records provided by Google.
The service comes in different flavors to suit the organization needs. The two major editions of Google Apps are:
- Standard Edition: It is perfect for Personal and small business usage. It is offered for free for up to 10 custom users accounts with up to 7GB of space per user account. It allows the user to take full advantage of Gmail, Google Talk, Google Calendar, Google Docs, Google Sites, Google Reader, Blogger, Picasa Web Albums and many other collaboration and messaging apps. The administrator of the account can enforce business security on the domain by forcing SSL and set custom password strength requirements.
- Business Edition: It Costs $ 5 per user per month. It offers 25 GB of storage per user account and has 99.9% uptime guarantee and 24X7 support. It also offers additional business apps such as Google Video for Business and Google Groups for Business.
Google Apps for NGOs and Educational Institutions offers similar features to the edition at discounted prices.
You can always upgrade from the Standard Edition to the Business Edition or downgrade the business edition to a standard edition.
You only need a domain name to take advantage of Google Apps. You will notice the difference between Google Apps and any other email hosting service.
Source by Khaled Shihabi