Of the three types of web hosting – shared web hosting, Virtual Private Server (VPS) and dedicated web hosting, VPS is preferred by many small and medium businesses. This is mainly due to its performance and affordability.
A dedicated server is expensive and one needs to have advanced technical skills to manage it. In shared web hosting, resources are shared among different users. A VPS has the characteristic features of both a shared and dedicated server.
What is Virtual Private Server (VPS)?
A large physical server is divided into a number of small units called virtual private servers (VPS). Each virtual server is like an independent server and has its own resources like disc space, processor, operating system, etc. The virtual servers sharing the same physical server do not interfere with each other.
VPS is good option as it is easy to manage and is reliable. VPS technology is very helpful for businesses looking for dedicated resources at significantly lower cost. It is also helpful for trading businesses like forex, equities, mutual funds, etc., where scripts are shared continuously and more resources are needed.
Benefits of VPS
• Isolation – Every virtual server is an individual server. It stays in isolation and the performance of the website is not affected by the changes in neighboring websites or virtual servers which are sharing the same physical server.
• Affordability – This is one of the biggest advantages of VPS. A VPS matches with almost all the features of a dedicated server at a fraction of the cost of dedicated servers.
• Dedicated resources – As discussed earlier, each virtual server will have its own resources like disc space, operating system, processor, etc. unlike in a shared hosting where every website utilizes the same resources. Having dedicated resources with a VPS improves performance of the website significantly.
• Security – As virtual private servers are isolated, malicious practices of neighboring websites on the server will not affect your website. With a VPS, you can also customize your security features like firewalls to filter the traffic and protect your website.
• Scalability – A VPS comes with resources according to the package you have chosen. But, with variance in traffic to your website, you can increase or decrease the resources easily. This is not possible in shared hosting.
• Control – With a VPS, you have full control over the environment. You can set up the operating system of your choice, customize firewalls, control panel for easy management, install software packages, etc. It provides almost all the benefits a user gets with a dedicated server with respect to control over environment.
VPS has all the features that a dedicated server has and it is significantly less in cost. Thus VPS is the best option for any website looking for dedicated resources, security and performance within a limited budget.
Source by John H Ward